ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
New Printer Choice Dilemma
Aug 6, 2012

Hi--

I am in an obsessive knot about the choice in front of me.

My much beloved Epson Stylus Photo R800 is finally beyond repair (see below), and I am now at the point of having to choose a new printer. I have an inexpensive b&w laser printer for text documents.

I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to two: the Epson Artisan 837, and the Epson R2000.

The Epson R2000 can be had for about $349 (refurbished on the Epson site) or $399 elsewhere, and the Artisan 837 is about $200.

My dilemma is this: I don't need to print 13" x 19", and the R2000 has a much larger footprint. I imagine it might be only once or twice a year that I would take advantage of the R2000's large format capability, though it could be fun to do that, I suppose. And who knows, maybe I would do it more if I could.

On the other hand, I don't need a printer with fax/copier/scanner capabilities either.

In the end, the difference of $150-200 over the life of a printer isn't that huge, I suppose, even if the initial outlay is twice as much. But the R2000 just seems so--I don't know--beyond what I need.

And then again, would I be going backwards in terms of photo quality to get the Artisan 837? I do not want to do that.

The closest Canon I could find does not print on printable DVD's (which my husband likes to be able to do for video projects). If I am wrong about a Canon option there, please fill me in. I have ruled out HP for reasons I won't go into here.

About the "beyond repair" part: I have gone through intensive cleaning of the innards of the R800 via advice I got in the Epson Printer Yahoo group. That did buy me a few more months, but now the feed mechanism is also shot.

Thanks for any help!
--
Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Ricoh Caplio R8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow