Quite happy with my first wedding with EM-5

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
lutherfan
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Let me just say ...
In reply to forpetessake, Aug 6, 2012

I DO think that I forget too easily that the tonal range degrades with the higher iso... I get really excited and carried away when the noise (relative to my e-600!!!!) is so much reduced... But, just saying from how my bride and groom are reacting, these (and MOST) of our wedding couples do not EVER notice anything like you and I do. Frankly, most regular folks are so used to seeing IPHONE pics that even these just blow them away. OBVIOUSLY this is not an excuse for poor equipment and skill, but it certainly is MY grace at the moment!!!!!

forpetessake wrote:

Dixa wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

... the only pictures that 'passable' are those taken outdoors. All indoors pictures I definitely wouldn't be 'pleased' with. The high ISO ones are really bad. One obvious thing is noise, it's really way too high. I would also suggest not oversharpening the images, because they look 'processed' and the noise is getting worse. I got quite a few old good manual lenses and I don't sharpen pictures at all in PP, they look much nicer and more like film. Finally, the WB and skin tones are not good, because of the light and because at those ISOs tonal range is just too narrow. I think ISO 800 is the worst case I would ever use for portraits.

you would have certainly been displeased with bambi cantrells iso 1600 black and white work then. must be why she is the. top wedding photographer in the world - her clients took loupes to the negatives

I don't think it has anything to do with anything.

In my experience with several cameras DXO measurements of high ISO tonal range very much correlate with reality. You should check those. Though the noise can be cleverly suppressed in software, the tonal range can't, and at high ISO it deteriorates very quickly and insufficient for portraits. The small sensors aren't doing well at high ISOs at all, a lot worse than FF, or film.

lutherfan's gear list:lutherfan's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow