ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Thom Hogan and the iPhone effect
Aug 6, 2012

In his latest August 6th article, Thom Hogan comments on the iPhone effect, somewhat surprised that disatisfied iPhone users go all the way up to a Nikon D800 to get their perceived photography requirements met:

"What I think we're seeing is the iPhone effect. As most of you know, I've long been writing that camera phones would change the camera market completely. But even I didn't quite see this new consequence clearly. What consequence is that, you ask? Simple: when a camera phone (or compact camera) user decides that their low-end camera can't capture some of the pictures they now want to take (usually has to do with low light, speed of focus or acquisition, sometimes detail, but rarely feature control), they look upwards. What I didn't expect is how far in the camera lineups they might look upwards toward. Many of these folk would be happy with a Nikon 1, a m4/3 camera, maybe a large sensor compact like the RX-100 or GX1 (but not these last ones if focus speed is the complaint). But they're buying higher than that. Considerably higher."

Aside from my doubts that Hogan has anything but anecdotal data to support his observation that iPhone users are jumping "considerably higher" as he means it (i.e., that they're not picking up D5100 or D7000 in greater numbers than D800 cameras), why is it so much of a surprise that an iPhone user would look at a Nikon 1 or m4/3, and wondering if they would provide enough of a difference from the iPhone they already have in their pocket, jump up to a DSLR? Wouldn't it make as much sense that someone would want to ensure they get something capable enough by going "considerably higher" than what they already have? Provided they have the funds necessary to justify the purchase -- and most i-Anything users seem to have that -- they might as well do just that.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow