ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bengdogg
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
S100 1st impressions...
Aug 6, 2012

Hi all,

I decided to sell my SLR due to a lack of usage since my second child started walking and things became really hectic at home and I found myself shooting more video on my Lumix ft2 which had become my go everywhere camera (the pictures quality of this camera is poor tbh but the camera is pretty much life proof) so I treated myself to a S100 based on a lot of looking on this forum, Many reviews and hours on flickr to keep me happy when snapping. I do have a Canon G10 that I like shooting with but the video mode is sd only &I had also mused with getting a G1X but it was still bigger than what I wanted for now & seems to need a little refinement IMO although I like the direction Canon took with this product and hope it trickles down to maybe a larger S100 type camera. I also liked the look of the Panny LX5 too but the S100 was smaller and has an automatic lens cover

My overall impressions are very good but obviously don't expect it to be slr quality in terms of Dof or High iso noise, but for a compact it is as I said very good, the speed of the camera at start up is surprising and the improvement of sensor noise vs my G10 is noticeable. I like the wheel on the front, I didn't know it clicked I thought it just turned a little each way. The screen is very good and bright and the S100 is smaller than I expected it to be. Loads of quirky little features I will probably never use like high speed vid etc. The video quality is a real step up from the FT2's video which I thought was great and images and exposure seem fine and it seems to have pretty good DR too. The wide angle f2 lens is also nice.

Bad points are the pop up flash is a bit urgent and I have had my finger on it a few times, The battery life seems to be terrible. I have the gps off and on an aggressive test run yesterday (screen on, lots of playing around with controls and settings and reviewing images) it was flashing low after about 100 shots, I know that batterys improve after a few charge/discharge cycles but just in-case spare batterys are on the way. The f2.0 soon drops off as you zoom & it's a bit slippy too, so be sure to wear your wrist strap. zooming isnt as accurate as I would like either but I can live with these points till now.

A bit of a rambling review but overall I am happy & look forward to getting out with the family & taking some pictures soon

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 (Lumix DMC-FT2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow