ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lardinio
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?
D300 - focusing in low light
Aug 6, 2012

Hi All,

I'm not new to photography, but I must be making a fundmental mistake here.

I agreed to take some shots for a friends wedding reception on Saturday night. The room quickly became dark and whilst I could see my subjects, my camera - D300 with 18-200, has no chance. I couldn't get focus lock on anything and ended up having move the manual focus and a small aperture and 'hope' that I had a subject in focus. It was very embarrasing.

I was using an SB-800 and I thought you could use a preflash to allow the camera to acquire focus. But I couldn't in anyway shape or form, get the camera or SB-800 to do this. I missed loads of shots.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have a wedding to shoot in 6 weeks and they have asked me to stay for some of the evening and now I am dredding that part as I know I cannot deliver what they want.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
--
'I don't take photographs, I make them' - David Bailey

D300, D50, Nikkor 80-200/2.8 AF-D, 18-200/3.5-5.6 AF-S and 60/2.8 AF-S Micro, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 50/1.4 EX HSM and 10-20/4-5.6 EX HSM, SB-800, SB-400, Sigma TC x1.4 EX APO

Leica X1 Nikon D300 Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow