DSLR to Micro Four Thirds - why did you change?

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
M J Valentine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244
Like?
DSLR to Micro Four Thirds - why did you change?
Aug 6, 2012

Hi,

I recently sold my Canon 40D which I used for family photos, holidays and air shows (exclusively amateur). For overseas holidays I found the 40D hard work to carry in hot weather but, for the most part, was pleased with the results when I returned home and transferred the jpegs to my PC. Occasionally, I would leave the 40D in the apartment because of its bulk.

A family member has suggested that I try a smaller format and I have somewhat fallen into admiration of Micro Four Thirds and lenses like the 100-300 and 25mm Panasonic/Leica. I am considering either a GX1 or GH2 (not the OM-D) for mainly stills. However, I tried a Panasonic GX1 at a UK camera shop (which shall remain nameless) and the owner explained that Micro Four Thirds buyers rarely give up their DSLRs or they are physically no longer able to carry DSLRs with large lenses. This left me in a dilemma!

I understand that the compromise for a smaller body and lens is lower dynamic range, lower noise performance and slightly increased risk of sensor dust due to the shutter being open until activation, but are these 'deal-breakers'.

I would be grateful for any feedback as to why you changed from DSLR and whether you have any regrets.

Thanks in advance,

Martyn

Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow