Insurance Question

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
nycfonephreak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037Gear list
Like?
Re: Insurance Question
In reply to DerStig, Aug 6, 2012

I have my gear (both photography and laptops/iPad) covered by State Farm - it's called an Inland Marine policy. You do not need to have your home or auto insurance (or any other insurance) with State Farm to get this policy. In fact, I have no other insurance from State Farm other than this Inland Marine policy.

IIRC, the policy covers pretty much all types of loss - damage, theft, loss. Although it will not cover something that breaks due to wear and tear or defect (iow, warranty iissues).

I've had he policy for about 8 years and never needed to file a claim (I take VERY good care of my stuff). But I had an accident earlier this year which trashed a T3i and 15-85mm lens that were both under a month old. The claim was processed with minimal pain on my part - all done by phone - and I got authorization to replace the equipment the same day I reported the damage. I had a new camera and lens the very next day and a check arrived in the mail a few days later. I can't say enough good things about how they handled this.

nycfonephreak's gear list:nycfonephreak's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow