Three images from a recent SHG convert
Aug 6, 2012

Fairy slides:
(E-5, ZD 35-100 F2 )

It's coming:
(E-5, ZD 35-100 F2 )

Sunset twinkle:
(E-5, ZD 7-14 F4 )

I started posting here a couple of weeks ago I'm predominantly film-based (monochrome) hobbiest photographer, with a bit of colour that used to rely on medium-format slide film, development of which is no longer available in my area. Instead of going through the pains of developing E-6 myself, I thought I'd try and see what Olympus (whose OM system I am an avid user of) has to offer these days.

Always going "against the grain" (for what else could a switch to the Four-Thirds system at this juncture be described as?) I run Arch Linux (GNOME3 desktop, try it if you're tired of your Mac, and don't get me started with Windows...) and only process my RAW files in (open-source) RawTherapee.

Working in 96-bit floating-point CIE LAB Colour, and the fabulous algorithms incorporated in this piece of software, one can extract every last pixel of goodness from the E-5 files, but it's a bit more work - and to be fair, Olympus' JPEG image processing is darn good already, not always sure if RAW is worth it for most people. I had great fun processing these three images (I have been recovering from illness this week-end, so these constituted a simple walk in the garden...)

So much beauty and abstraction surrounds us (even in a simple, small town-house garden in Johannesburg) and Olympus' peerless SHG lenses let you capture this with as much subtlety or brutality as your vision allows.

Thanks for watching.

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow