Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TeamTQ
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
What is wrong with the photo business
Aug 6, 2012

About a year and half ago I was eating in a local deli an I noticed the owner taking pictures of the floor and complaining that the pictures were "no good". Long story short... The owner was suing the manufacturer of floor for breach of warranty and was trying gather photographic evidence to present the judge. I reminded the store owner that one of his regular customers did weddings and portraits and had a studio in the house and ask him - after all he only lived a few blocks away and ate in the deli a few times a week.... The deli owner stated he had asked the local pro we both knew but said his price was too high.. I asked how much and almost fell over - $250. With that I went out to my and grabbed my camera an flash... I was returning from Quantum Instruments where I had some equipment serviced. I put the flash in bounce mode and shot away for about 2 mins and returned with a disc the next day. Since then I have never paid for lunch. On Long Island where I live lunch at the deli is about $10. I am not a professional photographer but I have been shooting for enjoyment since the early 1970's. Why do I bring this up now...While at a BBQ this weekend I ran into the aforementioned pro and he went on to complain how sloowwww business is. After 25 years hi is getting set close up and take his web site down. Too bad, he really is good and has taught me a great deal over the years.

I think it is sad that people do not value photos any more. While at a christening recently I saw all the family members taking pictures with iphones and I asked myself will anyone have a picture of today in 10 years?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow