Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
penguinman
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Best Canon telephoto lens for international travel
Aug 6, 2012

My wife and I do a lot of travel to pretty remote locations. In recent years I have found international travel increasingly challenging, particularly with respect to bringing along camera equipment. Next March we are going to the Peninsula Valdez in Argentina where we have special photography permits to go on the beach and photograph orcas coming up on the beach to grab sea lions.

What is the biggest lens that I should expect to be able to carry on a plane with international travel limits? Sometimes I see someone like Art Wolfe taking a 500mm lens on an outing and I try to figure out how they manage to get that size lens on the planes, particularly since other countries often have smaller carry on limits.

(Recently we traveled to the Pantanal in Brazil. TAM Airlines in Brazil had a 5 kilos or 11 pounds! I managed to carry all my equipment including a 100mm to 400mm lens and laptop but worried the whole time that my camera carry on bag would be taken away. It was amazing how small the carryons were for the Brazilians. One of the other people coming on a separate airplane to join our trip had them take away his camera gear and load it with general cargo baggage.)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow