New body or new lens

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: ADI info and more
In reply to JohnFrim, Aug 5, 2012

JohnFrim wrote:

Another carryover from my Minolta days is the Minolta AF4000 flash. Do you know if it could work with an adapter to couple the older flash shoe to the newer?

Not well. You won't get any TTL even though the flash as you suspect supports it, the flash uses the old Maxxum flash system so it's not compatible with how modern Sony systems use flash. It won't fit on the shoe, you need to use adapters and manual settings and it will generally be a big pain.

You can make it fire at less than full power by fiddling around with the manual settings in it. It won't sync zoom as you zoom the camera, you will have to do that manually through the menus as well.

There is a series of articles on using that flash with a modern Alpha camera here:

http://alphatracks.com/archives/1234

I can't vouch for the quality of the advice since I have no AF4000 flash myself, but it goes through all the settings and possibilities with that flash unit.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow