Infinite White Background Question

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
Re: Infinite White Background Question
In reply to Barrie Davis, Aug 5, 2012

Im no expert on white, I have to admit it. I have gray at home. I only commented on some of the things I read and some of the things I learned.

What you say is correct, in fact, I addressed it in my post. Separation, and careful with flare. But if you want to do it on camera, you need to have more light. There is no way around it. For in camera, the zack arias tutorial are generally considered the way (although Im sure there are a lot of other ways, again, Im no expert). In his case, he uses 1 1/2 steps, but he is careful to protect agains flare.

http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space/
http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-next-post-this-afternoon/
(see where he shows "his" proper exposure. f/8 vs f/11.5 for the background)

Still, I think always post processing is necessary. Pure white is an abstraction. Is not real, doesnt exist in real life, so you need to process it, even it up (generally they use 2 lights for the background to be as even as possible) and I think, if you are not going for full body, it is easy to rely more on Post than to get it as right as possible in camera. As many here have explained, there are many ways to do it also, and I dont think there is a right and a wrong way. For full body, I think you need to get as good as possible in camera, so you need big space and be careful to avoid flare, and over expose as I said before, or maybe a bit less, but not that much) for a small place, I wouldn't try at all full body and would rely a lot more on photoshop. Makes life a lot easier.

Barrie Davis wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

You need to add more light. But it is a balancing act. Generally you add 2 or 3 stops more of light, so from f8, you should have f16 at least on the background.

That is bad advice. You should not use so much. It should be only so much as to clean up the background. Half a stop over the subject brightness is plenty, but it does need to be even if the background is required white all over.

Using more than 1/2 stop excess risks flaring around the outside of the subject, especiaqlly when the background is close. Also large amounts of non-image-forming light passing through the lens from overlit backgrounds will cause flare over the image as a WHOLE, desaturating the subject even AWAY from its edges.

In a nutshell, add between 1/3rd and 1/2 stop, then STOP!
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow