Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ikendu
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Nex 5n, macro, flash, kit zoom, +10 diopter
Aug 5, 2012

Got my Nex 5n about a month ago. I really got it pretty much just for shooting macro shots of small flowers/plants. I chose it for the full size APS-C sensor (over the micro 4/3 cameras) and the availability of "focus peaking". My wife and I are in our 60's and our ability to see critical focus while shooting is apparently less than what is needed! The focus peaking is a welcome aid!

I've been shooting 35mm film since 1973 and have owned a SLR with macro lens previously. We joined the digital revolution 15 years ago (with various Point & Shoots) but only now found models with large sensors with the features we wanted (tilt viewing screen, full time live mode, etc.). I'm holding out to buy a macro lens until the Tamron 60mm F2.0 macro comes out in a native emount for the Nex.

I shot these two today with the kit zoom (F11), auto focus (with focus peaking) and flash with a home made flash diffuser / director to avoid creating a shadow from the lens. The flash diffuser is cardboard lined with aluminum foil.

These tiny cacti are grown from seed and are about the size of match heads now.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow