ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,641Gear list
Like?
thought my gamble bit me in the a$$...
Aug 5, 2012

HI

I got a used D60 from a dealer.. immaculate and only 1260 clicks.. advertised openly as having two dead pixels, but it was only £99.

I decided that was acceptable as it was a backup and ACR removes dead pixels automatically.. and then yesterday trying to give the camera a thorough testing (in the ten day return window) I noticed that the info button stopped working (to bring up the settings on the rear LCD)

It would flash the menu and disappear almost instantly. Up till then this had always worked.. a quick press twice and you could alter ISO and all sorts of other mode settings... always worked. I took out the battery and it was all ok again. Was this the 'real' reason someone px'd it perhaps?

Today I thought I would retrace the test I did yesterday and lo.. it stopped working again in same situation.. Curiouser and curiouser.

Is my bargain, really a problem camera and has to go back I asked myself .

Then I noticed that when I came indoors it stopped doing it.... Ahhh!

The eye sensor for switching of the display is active.... I wondered if sunlight fools the sensor. Well checking the display means exposing the sensor to bright light.

And that was it... if a bright light hits the sensor ( just below the eyecup) it turns the display off!.. All that was really happening was that I was checking the setting, 'outdoors' on those two occasions. An unhappy coincidence!

I disabled the function now. and I can carry on testing it out in the days left of approval.

Phew!

I tried a search on this.. Here, Google.. etc but no mention of it. Perhaps other don't use the function.

Might help someone though.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow