Two questions - replaced Ram and disappearing Hard Drive space.

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
Two questions - replaced Ram and disappearing Hard Drive space.
Aug 5, 2012

I am not a techie (at all), but have just managed to replace my 4x2GB Ram with 4x4GB Ram. I got the Ram from the original PC supplier (Chillblast in UK). The biggest challenge was working out how to open the box and then get one of the Ram boards from under the fan!
I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit.

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure the Ram is being used efficiently?

I've right clicked on Computer and 16 GB Ram is shown as installed. It also shows the processor as an Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.8GHz. The PC is nearly two years old.

I also tried refreshing the Windows Experience Index which shows a Base score of 7.0 and Ram memory operations per second score of 7.4. Reading what this means it says the maximum score is 7.9 so maybe 7.4 is pretty good.

The computer runs fine (in fairness it ran well with 8GB Ram also), but I'm handling DNG files size between 40MB and 85MB and I was hoping it would speed up the 1:1 loading rate in Lightroom 4 ... but it hasn't, it still takes about six seconds, which won't be far off what it was doing before I changed the Ram.

I haven't tried merging anything in Photomatix or Photoshop yet, so these programs may have got quicker.

If not it's no a big deal as six seconds isn't a long time, and if Photmatix still takes a couple of minutes I can go and do something else whilst waiting. I'm not a pro trying to handle hundreds of images to a deadline.

Another thing I've done, just in case it is relevant, I've deleted the Hyberfil.sys file at the suggestion of the computer supplier (Chilblast) as I needed to free some space on the C Drive (a 75GB solid state drive where the programs are). After I did that last week I freed up 6GB to have atotal of 15GB free, but for some reason that's gone down to 9GB free now, and as far as I'm aware nothing has changed (I've just emptied the recycle bin and there are no new programs). Disk Cleanup shows I could free up just another 125MB. Any logical reason for where the 6GB has gone?

If there is anything else I need to do to complete the Ram upgrade please can someone tell me?
AND if you know where the C Drive space has gone I'd really like to know!
Thanks for any help.

-- hide signature --

David

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow