Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,611
Like?
Sorry about the cars OT
In reply to Midwest, Aug 5, 2012

Midwest wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Ricoh cameras may be 'quirky' but the Citroen car was KWURKEY. There is a reason the French are known more for wine and pastries than for autos.

Citroen 1954: 11.5" inboard power assisted disk brakes attached to the differential housing - eventually used by racing cars - the US cars took a while to discover disk brakes. Progressive deformation in a crash, fuel tank under the rear seat not under the boot, fold-away from you single spoke steering wheel - well before Ralph Nader got his knickers in a twist. Independent suspension all round with anti-dive forward facing wishbones and trailing rear wishbones - made sure that the whole car sank downwards under heavy braking (non of this nose dip thingo). Widest front track of any production car gave incredible road holding. Not to mention the hydraulic suspension that gave the smoothest ride ever and it was always riding level and well balanced. The self levellling suspension was controlled by valves worked by small torque rods which had the odd effect of leaning when you entered a long sweeper and then building itself up level again and giving a small almost imperceptible lurch when you straightened up again. Queer all right. The hydraulics also fed the power steering which had infinite variability - high for parking and almost none at speed. Before I bought my last Citroen I tried a Ford Fairlane - I was not sure if the steering wheel was connected to the wheels - must have been as it did turn corners.

The fresh air from the vents was good enough for an Australian summer which is as hot as it gets. To my personal knowledge and experience both Holden (Australian GM) and Volkswagen quarter vents blew shut at anything over 80kph.

Ugly as sin (the Citroen), but the aerodynamics were about perfect.

2,000cc four cylinder, even if it was a hemi-head, killed them for the US - no substitute for cubic inches and fuel was cheap.

Wound up they were pretty quick long distance point to point on the highway but in heavy traffic with a load on they were simply a pain in the posterior. And of course 55mph limits (?) - these cars were designed to cruise at at 120kph (on poorly made roads as well) and high geared for fuel economy. I can see why they were not your US-mobile of choice. They made over 250,000 DS & ID models so they were hardly "a Tucker".

Designed over a bottle of good wine and built by a team that had been through a case since breakfast.

I loved them - had three of them over a 25 year period. Very reliable hydraulics are no problem even if they scare some people, but the electrical wiring loom was a nightmare. Best car in the world would be a Citroen built by Honda. Citroen make almost "normal" cars these days and sell heaps because people are no longer "scary-innovative" and are built like Japanese cars.

Same problem with Ricoh - they are too scary-innovative for most even if they are built to Japanese standards.

An LCD is definitely a very poor substitute most of the time for an actual viewfinder.

Not really. It is more the camera grip that is the problem - with big lenses especially. There is a solution for bright light screen wash-out as well.

If you're shooting a moving subject, keeping the subject in (on) an LCD as you move the camera around is not easy - and also makes it virtually impossible to use any of the camera's controls at the same time.

Least of the problems - the GXR controls are all in exactly the right place. Harder is when you bolt on a great big lens that you need to support as well - you need the eye on the viewfinder for the extra support it gives.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow