Olympus OMD or Canon 650D

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OMD or Canon 650D
In reply to Kia Heng, Aug 5, 2012

I agree with Chris. White balance to taste in RAW for most seasoned photographers. Think about it. Back in the film days we'd add a warming filter to add that golden light. Look at some of the blue gold filters today. We'd have one or two filters for flourescent lighting and maybe one or two for tungston lighting. How accurate is that? Also using them to warm the light is moving away from a normalized white balance.

When you shoot RAW, no white balance is done whatsoever at the time of the shot. You do it in your digital darkroom, right? You move that little kelvin slider up or down until you have to look you want on a calibrated monitor. You might want it cooler or warmer. Besides you have no idea of what it was at the time.

White balance adds red or it adds blue in most editors. It's really fairly trivial. I certainly wouldn't know or care how a camera displayed those settings.

Today, I still carry a couple of old correction filters. I sometimes love what they can do and someohow can't do it quite the same in post. For example, those twilight cityscape shots where the sky still holds a little blue but the sun has been down around 20 minutes or so. I love to put on a FLD magenta filter once used to correct flourescent lighting. Sometimes an FLW is better. I carry both in the thread sizes of my landscape lenses. Why would I want to correct for white balance there? It would ruin the shot. I might set a custom white balance just to see what I want on the back screen when chimping, but that's it.

http://singhray.blogspot.com/search/label/Gold-N-Blue

http://www.singh-ray.com/index.html

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow