Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
RX100 and DMF (Direct Manual Focusing): questions
Aug 4, 2012

I am trying out out DMF with focus peaking. It seems like a really neat feature, but I am just getting the hang of it.

From P. 95 of the manual:

Using [DMF] [Manual Focus]
1. MENU 2 [Focus Mode] [DMF] or [Manual Focus]
2. Adjust the focus by turning the Control Ring.

Use the peaking function, [Focus Magnifier] or [MF Assist] to adjust focus more easily.

When [Focus Mode] is set to [DMF], auto focus activates when you press the shutter > button halfway down.

Focusing using the [DMF] setting

Using [DMF] allows you to use a combination of manual and automatic focus > adjustment as follows. After focusing automatically, make fine focus adjustments > manually. Effective when you want to focus narrowly. Hold down the shutter button > halfway, then turn the Control Ring. Adjust the focus manually in advance, then use > automatic focus. Effective for focusing on subjects that are toward the back of a scene > because those subjects tend to be out of focus when using the automatic focus > adjustment.

Once you change the focus method, the distance of the focus you set up is cleared.

I don't find the above totally clarifying, particularly the part about the effect of half pressing the shutter, and/or when you should do that.

Anyway, do others of you use this mode as the default focusing mode?
--
Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow