Flat view
Thin_Ice
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
How can i get this kind of pictures?
Aug 4, 2012

Hallo,

The official pictures of the olympic regatta are simply awesome:

http://www.london2012.com/sailing/photos/galleryid=1320055/#ben-ainslie-great-britain-competes-the-men-finn-sailing-1319352

I have studied the composition. Basically they dont show the upper half of the mast but frame on the athlete and the bow or stern with the water spray. Composition of pics with the fleet are also interesting.

How can i take pics that come close to these? My equipment is a modest e420 with double kit zoom and circular polarisation filter. While the kids race in their dinghys, the scenes look like at the olympics. Usually i have to crew the rescue boat. In between swims i am in the middle of the action and have some time to take pictures ( from moving vessel in waves).

Aperture priority f6.3 or shutter speed?

14-42 or 40-150? Changing lens is no option. I would opt for the 14-42 + polarisation filter, widangle for startline pics of fleet and 42 mm for action shots. Until now i used the long zoom from the shore...
Shooting perspective from,just above the water?
Single autofocus or continu?

Is MFT better suited for this? For obious reasons (water spray or worse) no 1000 € OMD + 600€ lens, but a el cheapo refurb EPL3 or something... We have a canon waterproof compact, but thats to slow in operation.

thanks for your tips
Steven

Thin_Ice's gear list:Thin_Ice's gear list
Olympus E-420 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Olympus E-420 Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ah!New
Yep.New
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow