Macro Lens Choices

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro Lens Choices
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Aug 4, 2012

One of my favorite macro lenses is the 60 f/2.8 AFS G. It is just a wonderful lens with superb output quality. It has plenty of workspace most of the time and there are some advantages to shorter focal lengths in Macro work. It's why I keep one or two in the kit.

If I shot DX and was not considering a move to FX, I'd look really hard at Nikon's 85 f/3.5 AFS macro lens. It is DX, small and fairly light weight. It is very sharp and contrasty and priced very reasonably.

At this time, I'd not consider the Tamron macro lenses. They come equiped wth the micro motors instead of the more acceptable sonic ring tyups on Nikon and Sigma. These micro motors are noisy and inaccurate as well as slow. Tamron will probably move all the lenses that don't yet have sonic ring motors to ring motors within a year, I"ve heard. When that happens, the 90 Tamron will again be one of my favorites, just not right now.

If you can afford it, the Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro might be the best out tere as well as doubling as a great forest walk around lens. It's hard to go wrong with it. You can get it with or without VR/IS/OS depending on how much you want to pay. Plenty of working room but a large heavy lens.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow