D700 Please tell me what I did that was dumb

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
baabbott
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
Re: D700 Please tell me what I did that was dumb
In reply to BearsMom, Aug 4, 2012

"For instance I noticed that contrast and brightness are greyed out when you have Active D lighting on. Is that just with manual lenses or is it just the way the camera works?"

Look on page 180 of the manual and it states that you can't adjust these two settings when using Active D-Lighting. This is because A D-L is already doing those things.

As far as manual lenses go, there's really not much else to say other than what's in the manual. Some manual focus lenses will have a "chip" in them that will communicate the with the camera so that you can use the front command wheel to change the aperture USING THE CAMERA. Other manual lenses have no "chip", so you will have to adjust the aperture ON THE LENS ITSELF.

For instance, I have a Zeiss 100mm f2 lens that is manual focus. The following is from the specification of that lens:

"ZF.2 lenses support all key modes (e.g. aperture priority, shutter priority, program AE or manual exposure settings) on camera models equipped with an electronic interface (e.g. current Nikon DSLR cameras). To do so, simply lock the aperture ring in the largest f-stop shown in orange."

Some older manual focus lenses would have to be stopped down to meter on the D700, others would not...it just depends on the lens. So, if you are going to use manual lenses, you should do some research on the particular lens to make sure it is something you want to deal with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow