My D800 is back from El Segundo

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,918
Like?
Details about my service
In reply to Horshack, Aug 4, 2012

For those who will be sending their bodies in, here is a summary of my entire service process:

• Sent body and body cap only; no battery, CF card, etc. Double-boxed the shipment - internal box was the small one supplied in the original D800 packaging, external box was a large sturdy box 11" x 9.5" x 8"

• Body arrived at El Segundo on Thursday at 10AM

• Received "Nikon Service Acknowledgement/Estimate‏" email on Monday 7AM. The estimate listed everything that was sent in, including my description of the problem. Service rank was "B2" and repair was listed as being warrantied. "NO APPROVAL IS REQUIRED FOR WORK PERFORMED FOR ALL NO CHARGE ORDERS", so the estimate for warrantied repairs is just for informational purposes. The email also includes a service order number, which you can use to check the status of the repair at https://www.nikonimagesvcapprove.com/status/ . The status after receiving the email was listed as "Estimate Service"

• On Tuesday morning the status was "Estimate Accepted"

• On Wednesday morning the status was "In Shop"

• On Thursday morning the status was "Shipped", and a UPS ground tracking number was provided.

• Note that the status updates seem to lag by exactly 1 day. I know from interaction with Nikon that my body started service on Tuesday, not Wednesday. And the body shipped Wednesday, not Thursday.

• UPS delivered the camera on Friday. It was double-boxed, using my original internal box but with a very small external box (10" x 6.5" x 6.5"), rather than my external box.

• The camera was wrapped tightly in plastic, with a rubber band securing the bag and creating a relatively tight seal. The camera was missing the body cap I had sent it in with, so it shipped with the mirror cavity open:

• External cosmetic condition of camera was identical to how I sent it in, but the LCD protector appears to have been cleaned.

The Invoice Repair included in the box listed the following:

• B2

• ADJ MIRROR ANGLE

• ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION

• CKD IMAGE TEST

• CKD METER ACCURACY

• CKD A-WHITE BALANCE

• FIRMWARE UPGRADE (to 1.01 btw)

• CLN IMAGE SENSOR

• GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

Before sending the body in I recorded the shutter count and took an f/16 reference shot to document the cleanliness of the sensor (no dust). When I got the body back:

• The shutter had 184 more shutter clicks

• The sensor was still clean (even though it was shipped without a body cap), but with a few dust spots and one spot which may be an oil spot (not sure yet)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow