ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jerry Canon
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
SEL 16F28's.. Bigtime QC Variances Apparently
Aug 4, 2012
-- hide signature --

A few weeks ago I purchased a 16F28 "refurb" directly from the Sony store. After testing it at all apertures, I found just about exactly what I'd heard to be true about this lens, not so great wide open and not getting too sharp till stopped down to at least f5.6 or so. A few days later, I thought I'd order another one from Sony just to see if I couldn't get a better copy.

Upon calling back, I was told that there was no more refurbs available but now, new 16F28's were back in stock. I preceded to order one and received it a couple of days ago.

I immediately mounted it and took it outside and did a few obligatory "brick wall" shots starting wide open and gradually stopping down. Upon opening the images, I was shocked and astounded at how terrible this "new" lens was! I thought I had a bad copy! Needless to say, this boy was on it's way back to Sony the very next day.

I just can't believe there's this much variation in copies of this lens. Now I see why so many folks say this lens is a total dog.
http://500px.com/JerryBrendle

Jerry Canon's gear list:Jerry Canon's gear list
Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow