Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joaquin_peme
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Roger Cicala's insights on Canon AF system
Aug 4, 2012

As I wrote somewhere else, I am not a geeky guy. I didn't know a thing about either phase detection AF or contrast detection AF. It was all Greek to me. All I know is I have to take extra frames to secure my pics. Of course, anyone following this site will be aware of the 5DMKII poor AF performance. It has been beaten to death before.

Out of curiosity, and knowing of the existence of these two AF approaches, I did my own test. Of course, my test is just crap, but it reproduces the way I use my stuff, so at least, I can safely say that I can reproduce Roger's findings.

I took 20 pictures of ten different subjects using both AF kinds. 5 out of 10 are very similar, and my eye can't tell one from the other. However, this what happens in the other 5 pics:

This is frustrating, annoying and unacceptable. I'm just an amateur who has to save each and every quid to justify a high-end toy, and now I find an argued explanation on why I have to turn my DSRL system into a P@S piece of gear if I want want to achieve ultimate focus accuracy.

By the way, if I have to upgrade both lenses and body to achieve perfect phase detection AF, wouldn't it cost similarly to switching brands?

Thanks so much indeed, Canon.

Joaquin_peme's gear list:Joaquin_peme's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +2 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow