Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alabrat
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Wildlife Lens
Aug 4, 2012

I purchased an EM-5 on a recent trip to Tokyo with the 12 - 50 kit lens and I am really happy with the camera. part of my job means i travel around the globe and the reason for the purchase was a downsizing from a Nikon DSLR which i was finding cumbersome.

Once the Nikon gear has gone I will then look at purchasing some new lenses. I like the look of the 75 1.8 and i am torn between the 25 and 45 primes. I am also considering the 40 - 150.

In Early December I will be travelling to Johannesburg on business and I may have opportunity to visit the Lion Park just outside JoBurg for an afternoon.

From what I understand it is possible to get quite close to the animals, think drive through safari park and even to interact with some lion cubs.

I am not sure that the kit lens will be ideal for the afternoon, I suspect i will need something with more reach. With this in mind I would like to hear opinions from people who have been to this type of wildlife park before on what range of lens would be suitable.

I am particularly interested in whether the 40 - 150 will be suitable or whether I need to look at the 75 - 300 zoom. As a final option would I be better buying one of the 14 - 150 superzooms.

There seem to be several options and apart from this trip the longer reach will get limited use upon my return.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow