Wildlife Lens

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alabrat New Member • Posts: 11
Wildlife Lens

I purchased an EM-5 on a recent trip to Tokyo with the 12 - 50 kit lens and I am really happy with the camera. part of my job means i travel around the globe and the reason for the purchase was a downsizing from a Nikon DSLR which i was finding cumbersome.

Once the Nikon gear has gone I will then look at purchasing some new lenses. I like the look of the 75 1.8 and i am torn between the 25 and 45 primes. I am also considering the 40 - 150.

In Early December I will be travelling to Johannesburg on business and I may have opportunity to visit the Lion Park just outside JoBurg for an afternoon.

From what I understand it is possible to get quite close to the animals, think drive through safari park and even to interact with some lion cubs.

I am not sure that the kit lens will be ideal for the afternoon, I suspect i will need something with more reach. With this in mind I would like to hear opinions from people who have been to this type of wildlife park before on what range of lens would be suitable.

I am particularly interested in whether the 40 - 150 will be suitable or whether I need to look at the 75 - 300 zoom. As a final option would I be better buying one of the 14 - 150 superzooms.

There seem to be several options and apart from this trip the longer reach will get limited use upon my return.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow