Off topic: Linux vs Windows

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Off topic: Linux vs Windows
In reply to hpeter, Aug 4, 2012

hpeter wrote:

On my Ubuntu desktop, I don't have any antivirus, I don't have to worry about corrupted registry, or ad-ware, malware, or anything. All other Windows computers I use are slowed down by the above - and you even have to pay for it.

My computer experience goes back to 1983 using a Commodore 64. My PC experience goes back to 1994 using DOS and Win 3.1 so admittedly I'm more computer literate than most people. My 1+ year old Dell with Windows 7 and the free Microsoft Essentials security suite has never had a virus, malware or ad-ware problem. I also have Ubuntu installed in a dual boot configuration but I rarely use it as Windows 7 is simply a better more refined operating system. My other Dell is almost 8 years old, has Windows XP and Microsoft security essentials installed. It's never had a virus and never had problems with ad-ware or malware. Am I lucky? No! I just use my computer intelligently and with good FREE security software installed.

My personal opinion is that for me Linux is better, and I'm glad a photographer found all he needed to work in Linux, and I'll follow his path with my A700. That doesn't mean everybody should as others will not be interested in learning a different operating system - and it's totally fine.

I find Windows better for my uses as the photography software I like to use isn't available for Linux. Sure Lightroom, PSP and Faststone would run in a virtual window but it just runs better and faster in Windows. Everybody is entitled to use what best suits their needs.

BTW, Linux viruses do exist and much malware is not OS dependent and could be a problem. Read the following.

http://ubuntuarmy.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/linux-vulnerability/

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow