OMD - Paint peeling off? Black only?

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Sorry, I just want to point out
In reply to tgutgu, Aug 4, 2012

tgutgu wrote:

No, the silver body has the same issues. Paint peels off at the edges and a white color comes to surface.

The silver body gives the impression that the surface is as good as we are used from the cameras, the EM-5 remembers us, also known as retro design. It is all fake. The body finish does not hold the quality standard, one can expect from a flagship product.

Mine was used just normal. The unavoidable neck strap friction (only soft material) and taking in and out the camera of a normally soft camera bag (ThinktankPhoto Retrospective 5) apparently causes that the camera shows more wear than it should, given that the body was bought in April.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

This poster is the ONLY one I've seen making this claim, other than an early incident of black paint rubbing off of the hotshoe of a pre-production test model. He makes it every chance he gets. Now, I believe him that there's a problem with the paint on his model, but every time this question is asked, 10 or 20 OMD owners chime in to say they have no paint problems, and this user chimes in to mention his problem, and go on to say that the finish is low quality.

It's starting to sound fishy.

I've had my black model 3 months. Have banged it solidly twice, once against a stone, and once against concrete, and no paint is coming off, with the exception of the paint on the review button, which I tend to hit with my fingernail, due to its placement.

I'd also like to point out that this poster almost always claims that you MUST buy the grip in order for the camera to be comfortable, something which is obviously not true for all users.

tgutgu, I'd suggest taking your camera back and trying to find another model that you're happier with. You seem miserable with this one.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow