Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zwinters
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Recommend legacy lenses for NEX?
Aug 4, 2012

I know this topic has come up in many threads, so I apologize for any redundancy. Feel free to link to a resource if you feel my questions have already been answered well elsewhere.

I'm shooting with a NEX-5 with the kit 18-55 F3.5-5.6. Lame, I know.

I want to expand my lens collection. I think the best and cheapest way to to this is to go for legacy manual lenses. My main priority is IQ. I don't mind tinkering with fussy manual focusing or awkward balancing or aesthetics if it means better IQ.

I'm on a very slim budget (looking for the best I can get for

Here is what I'm in the market for:

1) Wide angle (or ultra wide) prime. The goal is to get creative and as sharp as possible landscape images. I'm not opposed to the idea of a wide angle zoom, but since I'm going for CHEAP, I think prime is best.

2) Standard prime. Looking for good bokeh and macro capabilities. Not opposed to going a little longer than standard.

3) Telephoto prime or zoom. Something that would be good for bird/wildlife photography. Maybe a 150 or 200mm prime? Or a 150mm to 250mm zoom? I don't really know what's best. Because I won't have image stabilization, I assume the faster the better.

The world of legacy lenses is a little intimidating. Any tips would be appreciated. I hear Nikkor and Cannon FD are good options. Which has superior IQ? Other good brands for legacy lenses for the NEX-5?

zwinters's gear list:zwinters's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow