Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod Baakkonen
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Now what Grasshopper???
Aug 4, 2012

I photograph a lot of dragon flies. We have a lot of different types in Minnesota in the summer.

My wife and I were on an after breakfast hike around a local lake. I first saw this dragon fly on the ground. It was unusual to me because of it's size. Just as I was about to press the shutter, it rocketed off. My wife and I both heard a smack. It had caught something in mid-air.

It fluttered around for about 30 seconds and ended up landing in a tree limb above my head. I put the GH2 on manual focus and here is the picture I got.

It had caught one of those grasshoppers that flies around. The grasshopper was about the size of my index finger.

So what happens now? The dragonfly devours it's prey and does not have to eat until Thanksgiving? I had no idea a dragon fly would capture anything this big.
--
Rod

Rod Baakkonen's gear list:Rod Baakkonen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Camera Raw 7 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow