Throw away your polarizers

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,064Gear list
Like?
wrong, and self-promotion
In reply to Paul Richman, Aug 4, 2012
  • firstly, to my eyes, your examples don't prove your thesis. And this is with samples which obviously you picked for best possible effect - i.e. likely NOT representative of the average result

• secondly, polarizers, I mean the real stuff ie linear polarizers, DO cut off light waves oriented in a specific direction. There is NO WAY you can do this in software - at most you can make it look similar perhaps, but the contrast that you've initially lost, or the extra reflexions that you got, well they're here to stay.

Side note is that PDAF systems on DSLRs CANNOT WORK with linear polarizers, so people put circular polarisers on them, which produce a much less useful result - in which case your software is perhaps not much behind

• thirdly, to me at least, it is at the edge of fair, and possibly becoming incorrect, to use DPreview in order to draw traffic to your stuff

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow