"Screwy E-M5 IBIS": Theory and evidence

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,888Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks, and some notes
In reply to kenw, Aug 4, 2012

kenw wrote:

Thanks for the excellent write up, Anders!

I unfortunately have not had much time to investigate lately. As you say there are a lot of variables so I wanted to point out two things from my experience that are a bit different from yours.

• I can provoke very obvious double images with my 45/1.8 in the 1/80 shutter range with "firm" hand holding. Perfectly sharp in same range with "loose" hand holding. The difference isn't subtle at all, double images with large offsets. A bit different from your experience.

Did some further testing tonight with the 45/1.8 at 1/80. No matter how I hold it, I can't make this lens misbehave. One sharp shot after another. What is fascinating as well as mystifying is how differently the 45/1.8 behaves in comparison with the 40-150 at 40. OK, the 40-150 is about twice as long as the 45 even when zoomed out and about twice as heavy. But, as I am sure you agree (I know you own both lenses), both are very light and feel prettty much like nothing on the camera. Nevertheless, the 45 behaves perfectly whereas the 40-150 is about the worst case I have encountered so far (tried it again tonight). I shot both with zoom AF so that I could see that they are perfectly focused and exactly what level of detail to expect. The feeling when I shoot is almost exactly the same. Nevertheless, the 45 delivers success after success and the 40-150 just the opposite. For some strange reason that I can't yet put my finger on, it seems that the physical length and weight of the lens has a considerable impact even when, as in this case, neither of them is particularly long or heavy.

• OIS vs IBIS you may remember my infamous testing early on of the 14-45 OIS vs IBIS in which it really seemed something odd was going on. I concluded after a few repeated tests that IBIS was not being disabled when OIS was on. I was confident in this conclusion producing a fairly complete test matrix of the possible settings. Nonetheless, no other users. nor DPR, nor myself anymore can repeat these results! Possibly the camera was in an odd mode or error state when I tested, or perhaps I was just seeing variation in the "screwy IBIS" problem when I did these tests. Anyway, fair warning to be extra careful when testing OIS vs. IBIS. I got bit.

I retested this too. The conclusion remains the same. Within the range of critical shutter speeds, the 14-45 OIS beats IBIS by a substantial margin.

I hope to do some more tests at some point and I'll add them to this thread, but it may be awhile before I get to it.
--
Ken W
See profile for equipment list

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
sameNew
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow