45mm Oly VS 50mm FD Lens a $250 difference. Is it worth it????

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
aljudy
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: 45mm Oly VS 50mm FD Lens a $250 difference. Is it worth it????
In reply to MMitchellorg, Aug 3, 2012

I know that most in this forum are enamored with the Oly 45mm, and so they should since it takes wonderful photos. My favorite lens is the Pany 25mm/f1.4, and that is my typical FOV that I like (the 20mm/f1.7 also). Whenever I shoot with 45 or tele lenses, I need to be more deliberate in my composing and AF is not that useful to me.

I borrowed the 45mm from a friend and found all this out. Namely, the tighter FOV meant I could not do as casual and spontaneous photos that I like of my family. I found most of the photos needed me to move further back; perhaps this is just not using this FOV enough in my casual shooting. In any case, I compared this 45 with a Minolta 50/f1.7 which I bought for less than $20 and I found very little difference in my photos. As far as I am concerned the bokeh is pretty much the same to me and since I need to reflect on my shots using this FOV, paying all that money for AF was not valuable to me... Al
--
Amateur Photographer of family mainly

aljudy's gear list:aljudy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow