AF misses focus on EVERY SHOT with ANY LENS..

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nikonandmore
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
AF misses focus on EVERY SHOT with ANY LENS..
Aug 3, 2012

Hi everyone. I'm not here to vent my frustration after 5 months of waiting for my D800E that I finally got 2 days.. I just want to collect your valuable advice and opinion on what I should, or it's that I'm doing something wrong.

I have several Nikon lenses, most of them newer AF primes. I sold my D3x with which I took thousands of pictures never experienced and never had one glitch, for my new D800E that gets every picture out of focus!

The issue is simple after taking over 500 shots as test in these past 2 days:

• Any AF shot taken with any lens at critical maximum aperture thru the viewfinder will be never in proper focus.

• However, every similar AF shot taken using liveview, will be always in perfect focus, every time. Never misses.

So, all AF shots using the viewfinder will miss the proper focus point, while all shots using liveview, will be always right on. I'm using a dead-on center square AF focus area and aiming straight on, on a point in the center of the image area that I want to get in focus.

So, am I doing something wrong? Is there some sort of a different calibration setting between focus thru the viewfinder or live view or am I missing something? I've heard of the asymmetric focus issues with many of the D800/E but I dont thing it's exactly what I have. I didn't try any other focus points because the experiment is useless to me as I only use center dead-on focus area. And if the center focus area works dead-on using liveview, why would it be different when using the viewfinder?.. I just dont get it unless my camera has some sort of a catastrophic misalignment of whatever focus parts/circuitry in the viewfinder itself, even if the image in the viewfinder looks in focus and is sharp to my eye.

Should I take the camera to Nikon and have it looked at? My disappointment and frustration are indescribable but, I still have hope that I'm missing some sort of calibration or wrong setting i am missing due to not being familiar with the camera.

Thank you very much in advance for your advice and expert opinion:)

Nikon D3X Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow