Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BlueTrain
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
cs5 cropping without resampling
Aug 3, 2012

In CS5 how do I crop an image so that the resulting image is the same aspect as the original but doesn't retain the same dimensions (which seems to result in resampling of the picture)

For example, the images from my camera are 5616 x 3744 pixels

If I want to crop a bit of the periphery of my image out of the final image, say I want to reduce the size by 10%, that would result in a crop of 5055 x 3370. I could calculate these dimensions, add them to the crop width and height boxes and do it that way. But often I do not want to calculate the width/height, I just want to be able to 'free crop' judging purely by eye what should be removed.

I know I can use the 'front image' button to retain the aspect of the original image, but whenever I use this function the resulting (cropped) image is still 5616 x 3744 pixels. Even if I crop half the picture, it still retains its original pixel dimensions, which presumably must mean that photoshop is doing some interpolating of the image which I dont want.

Basically, I want to be able to click and drag a crop 'rectangle' across my original image, the same aspect as the original image, and then when the image is cropped the resulting image is whatever dimensions are left after after the outside bits are removed.

I hope that makes sense and apologies that this is a simple question - I have read a lot of articles online about cropping but have yet to find an answer to this seemingly simple question!

Many thanks
Tom

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow