Has anyone used the NikkorAF 28-85 3.5-4.5 on a D800?

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
EricSS
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Has anyone used the NikkorAF 28-85 3.5-4.5 on a D800?
In reply to user_name, Aug 3, 2012

I have been using my old 28-85mm f3.5-85mm on my D800 and am really pleased with it.

I originally bought the lens in the late 1980's with my Nikon F4 but had not made much use of it since then until now. It certainly didn't seem great on my D300.

However, with the d800 I have found the 28-85 to be astoundingly sharp especially when closed down to f8 or f11 - and I am supremely happy with it particularly for studio use when I can use it in this manner. In many instances it seems almost as good as my 50mm f1.8D in this respect.

However I do agree with that it can lack sparkle and microcontrast in day to day use outside. It's also not great with flare. However, I find that i can deal with these with a few adjustments in Aperture or DXO.

I also recently bought a second hand 24-85 f3.5-4.5 (because I wanted the extra bit of wide angle and also something lighter for everyday use ). Doing a direct comparison - for example photographing newspapers stuck on a wall - I find the 28-85 to be significantly sharper corner to corner right the way through the range. (I am not sure whether it is just my lens, but I found 24-85 to be really soft at the edges / left hand side wide open around the 50mm range)

But neither of these lenses compares with 24-70 which i hired for an assignment - this I found to be way ahead of both other zooms in terms of corner to corner sharpness and contrast, even wide open. I guess you get what you pay for!

I am happy to provide some photographs if anyone wants some examples

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow