Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sik_photos
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
First hours with new N1 system
Aug 3, 2012

Was following this forum and find it sort of refreshing; sort of like a private club, rather than a free-for-all in the other Nikon forums.

Anyway, saw a J1 w/10-30 for about $320 and went for it. Also got the 30-110 and took it to the pond as the sun went down. For the price i paid, im so far rather happy with it. Some out of camera jpegs and impressions below.

As to what this camera is good for--for me anway? I have to stop myself from the habit of judging its pure image qualty: I have my X100 for that. Its not going to work for low light (have NEX-5N for that), at least with these lenses. However i was surprised that the fast focus kept locking, even in lower light, perhaps better doing better than my NEX in this area. Downside being the need for faster lenses, given the sensors high ISO (rather pedestrian) performance.

Not unlike other folks, Im seeing this as a bit of a challenging camera but in a good way. Fast focus and blazing continuous shooting for people shots. Nothing special about the 10-30 but the 30-110 is a pleasant suprise as to how small/light it is.

I suspect it wont be long till I am tempted to get the adapter to try on my 35mm f1.8, or even buying a 50 f1.8 or 85mm depending how things go with the 35mm.

Downsides as mentioned by many: this camera came with two batteries, which both depleted after about 1.5 hours of heavy use, so for the J1 u might want more than 2 batteries for a day of usage. I noticed the LCD actually got rather hot to the touch, which must eat batteries: this without any movie shooting. And the lack of touch or tilt screen is really a shame, whereas the Oly EM5 , which i borrowed for a few weeks, was superb at easy inconspicuous use + touch screen focus selection. However i couldnt justify its $1299 price tag just for occasional street usage.

In all, there are deals to be had on this camera, and it can only get better as far as N1 lenses (I myself would love a longer N1 zoom like a 55-300 which would kill on daytime nature work).

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow