Lets try that moon again

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132Gear list
Lets try that moon again
Aug 3, 2012

A lot better than my last attempt. This time instead of just my Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO I also threw on a Vivitar 1.5x TC and shot at f/8 (about f/12 effective with the 1.5x TC).

Still not super, super sharp, but pixel peeping I don't think it is an issue of shutter vibration at this point. I think two things would help, even higher shutter speeds (this was shot at 1/125s) as the moon is moving fairly fast at 1200mm EFL as well as better atmospheric conditions. Oh a better lens wouldn't hurt either, but I think the biggest contributor to lack of sharpness (its resonably sharp, but could be better) is atmospheric conditions.

This time around instead of shooting the moon when it was just a hair above the local horizon I shot it around 10pm when the moon was a good 2 hands up, maybe 3 by the time I was done. However, it was at least 80F (27C for those of you in the rest of the world) with humidity levels of at least 90% last night. Very hazy in general. So I was shooting through at least 100km of soupy atmosphere. A nice cool, low humidity autumn evening would probably have produced much better results and I intend to try just that in a few months.

Also, just for the hell of it, I might try shooting with both my Vivitar 2x and 1.5x TCs on the lens, just to see what it produces (probably nothing good).

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow