Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
Lets try that moon again
Aug 3, 2012

A lot better than my last attempt. This time instead of just my Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO I also threw on a Vivitar 1.5x TC and shot at f/8 (about f/12 effective with the 1.5x TC).

Still not super, super sharp, but pixel peeping I don't think it is an issue of shutter vibration at this point. I think two things would help, even higher shutter speeds (this was shot at 1/125s) as the moon is moving fairly fast at 1200mm EFL as well as better atmospheric conditions. Oh a better lens wouldn't hurt either, but I think the biggest contributor to lack of sharpness (its resonably sharp, but could be better) is atmospheric conditions.

This time around instead of shooting the moon when it was just a hair above the local horizon I shot it around 10pm when the moon was a good 2 hands up, maybe 3 by the time I was done. However, it was at least 80F (27C for those of you in the rest of the world) with humidity levels of at least 90% last night. Very hazy in general. So I was shooting through at least 100km of soupy atmosphere. A nice cool, low humidity autumn evening would probably have produced much better results and I intend to try just that in a few months.

Also, just for the hell of it, I might try shooting with both my Vivitar 2x and 1.5x TCs on the lens, just to see what it produces (probably nothing good).
--

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow