Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheLastMan
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
K-5 Program mode settings
Aug 3, 2012

I am puzzled by some of the settings you can choose for the “program” mode on the K-5 and what they do in various circumstances. The manual is not very enlightening on the subject.

The “high speed”, “DOF (deep)” and “DOF (shallow)” options are fairly self explanatory, however I find the high-speed and DOF (deep) options move too quickly to raise the ISO in order to keep the speed up or the aperture stopped down. I suppose it depends what you mean by “high speed” and whether DOF/speed is more important to you than noise: For me personally these three settings are redundant as I use either Av or Tv if I need to prioritize either DOF or speed.

MTF Priority tends to stick to one aperture for each lens and increases or decreases the speed with ISO going up as soon as the shutter speed gets below around 100. This makes it very little different from AV mode as far as I can tell, except with less choice over aperture!

However, my main problem is the difference between “Auto” and “Normal” which is not explained at all and for me one or other is probably what I am looking for from an automatic exposure mode.

In general I find that Program tends to raise the ISO sooner than I would like. So I tend to fix the ISO manually when using it.

What are others views? Anybody know the difference between the “Auto” and “Normal” settings?

TheLastMan's gear list:TheLastMan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow