Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,735Gear list
Like?
Another one jumps in...
Aug 3, 2012

OK, despite plenty of doubts, I jumped in and got an RX100. As I suspected, its great for stuff I don't do a lot and a bit of a chore for stuff I do a lot of, but the IQ is good enough to be worth a couple of workarounds. First, a couple of snapshots from a bike ride I did yesterday - we've seen plenty of these and know how well the camera does at these:

And some street shots from a street fair last night. I do a lot of this kind of shooting, and I don't find the setup of the RX100 anywhere close to ideal for it, but I was able to find workarounds and didn't ultimately have any trouble with it. I can't say its a joy to shoot with (and I have said that about other cameras), but the results are pretty compelling. These are all shot at ISO 3200 and that's just not fair in a camera of this size. I'm likely to hold on to this camera for a year or two. I think Sony got the jump on everyone and this next set of releases probably won't compare, but let this sensor get out there for the next round of designs, and someone is gonna put it in a slightly larger body with a faster/wider lens and a better set of external controls and I might just have to re-think my whole approach to cameras... For now, this is a pretty awesome little advance...

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow