Dell Precision T3400 - advice re upgrade

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lyle Aldridge
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
I must respectfully dissent
In reply to sailorman, Aug 3, 2012

sailorman wrote:

My Dell Precision T3400 was delivered early January 2009 - suffering from frequent 'Blue-screen' close-downs + hard drive over 60% full - major features:
~ CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo
~ NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700
~ Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
~ TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F
~ Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller (not sure what this means?)
Monitor: Dell 1908FP-BLK(Digital)

MY THOUGHTS for Replacement --> UPGRADE:
~ Windows XP --> WINDOWS 7 (64-bit)

~ 4x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM (ECC) --> 4 x 2 (or even 4)GB RAM (for 8 or 16GB in total)
~ 750GB hard drive --> 1000GB SATA hard drive
~ NEW --> SST (256GB Intel 520 series)

Any observations as to practicality of this proposal (I would propose finding a technician to do the installation of hardware + operating system + data transfer).

I'm an incorrigible upgrader myself, but it looks to me like you're going to spend something like $500-600 just on the new operating system and hardware (very rough: Win 7 Upgrade - $100; 8GB DDR2 memory - $100-140; 1TB HDD - $90; 256BG SSD - $250). And you're proposing to pay a technician to do the upgrade, which is probably going to cost at least $200 more. For what you're planning to spend, you could get a brand new (or certified refurb) system that would run circles around the end product of this proposed upgrade. If you do a search of this forum for "Dell refurbished" you'll find quite a few tips on coupon deals that would tilt the scales even more sharply against your proposal.

My estimate assumes you limit the RAM to 4x2GB DDR2 - I have doubts whether your system even supports the 4GB DIMMs, and I think 16GB would be useless overkill in that system. And remember that most of the software you're currently using with XP is not going to benefit much, if at all, from all that expenditure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow