ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
D800E - Half way thru 1st holiday - Strictly Amateur 3
Aug 3, 2012

Just under half way through my first holiday with the D800E

Of course its performing excellently, through 70% humidity and 40 degrees centigrade to harsh cold air conditioning

I am in northern Israel mostly, but popped to Jerusalem for three days

I brought two lenses, but find I am using only one. The 35mm f1.4G, my favourtie walk around.

After having a dose of Leica I no longer use zoom lenses and prefer the crystal clarity, lighter weight and lower light capability of Nikon f1.4G prime series. Zooming is strictly with the feet

I am strictly amateur, so don't expect pro quality shots.

I am continually surprised by the wonderful colours. For many years I prefered Canon due to the colours, but the D800E clearly has wonderful colours out of the box:

The dynamic range is still surprising me shot after shot. This is an extreme contrast situation with harsh bright sun at mid-day, maybe multi-shot HDR is a thing of the past:

The colour range is also amazing, and remains spot on even with fairly thin apertures:

[

I find the D800E plenty fast enough for action shots. ISO 3200 and thin apertures are no problem for the awesome focus system:

There is alot written about needing high shutter speeds with more megapixels. I don't understand the physics of this, and again I don't find it is an issue. Here is 1/80, close to my M9 limit of 1/40:

Again, high ISO low light low speed street photography I find very easy:

I find the weight surprisingly easy to carry around (about 50% more then an M9 and 50mm f1.4) and fine for family pictures:

Despite having a Android phone, I do admit to buying a Macbook pro duty free on the way to get that lovely IPS screen for editing. And luckily Adobe Lightroom has 30 days trial of lightroom which should cover the holiday
(my boxed copies are at home .....)

The D800E is a big success for me and the quality of Nikon's prime lenses is great. Not as good as Leica wide open, but just as full of pop and micro-contrast when opened 1 or 2 stops

best rgds

-- hide signature --
 harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow