Why not use more cross type AF sensors?

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not use more cross type AF sensors?
In reply to craig, Aug 3, 2012

I would like some outer AF points - we had them in the D2/F6

When Nikon upgraded to 51 point AF they put all the cross type in the central block - and they all worked as cross type with f5.6 combinations.

Canon at the time spread the cross type across the frame, and most outer AF points reverted to single direction with combinations slower than f5.6.
Either option was best (or second best) for some shooting situations.

Nikon have recently improved the central block to f8 detection, though only the central point is cross type at f8.

Canon have been increasing the number of cross points and their minimum aperture in some recent bodies.
I expect more AF developments in the next generation of Nikon pro bodies.

I disagree with a detail of your comment - single line detectors are not inherently less accurate when they detect the subject. They just find the intended subject less often
--
Leonard Shepherd

Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow