Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,975
Like?
I can see now
In reply to Deleted-pending, Aug 3, 2012

FTH wrote:

that could have been fixed after 3 generations of bodies integrating live view.
I moved from a D40X (fabulous camera, no live view)

then bought a Canon T2i for video (great video, great live view, direct manual controls and live metering when changing the aperture or speed : this is an amateur body as well)

The problems on the Canon is the heavy AA filtering which ruins native sharpness in stills and the bad implementation of auto-software correction (CA, distortion, vignetting) Nikon is way better on this aspect and Capture NX suits me better as well. I also wanted to keep 1 single system and stop struggling with lens adapters for video. (they will damage the weather sealing joint on AF-S G lenses)

Finally we bought a D5100 (awesome sensor, great LCD, time lapse mode is great, but the lack of manual control for video makes it a bad camera for indies & documentaries)

I finally bought a D3200 for video and high resolution landscapes (perfect camera for the latest) and as Horshack pointed, you need to shut down the full manual video controls to get back the true manual controls over shutter speed and ISO bellow 200 (100 iso) for stills. This is awkward, even on an amateurish body (canon, sony, olympus, and panasonic offer better controls IN AMATEUR bodies too)

Finally they removed the extra dial from the D3100 which actually is a step backward from Nikon, on his own entry level cameras. So yes, the word "crippling" has his place here.

Very good explanation. I think I can see your points regards crippling. I think my problem is I simply don't use the DSLR as a video camera and use a dedicated video camera for that (Sony NEX-FS100U). DSLR video is just a nice to have " if I leave my video camera behind " kind of thing in my mind. The other problem is I simply don't use LiveView to shoot stills either. I have used it in testing but never for actual stills meant for display. I can see it's focus advantage in some cases but have a hard time seeing advantage elsewhere. For me CLS functionality is critical while LiveView is a novelty. Thank you for your post. It really helps me better understand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow