How many new member to this forum because of RX100?

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?
Re: How many new member to this forum because of RX100?
In reply to rgm3, Aug 3, 2012

I bought a used XZ1 (in mint condition) on eBay this past February. It is superb for supermacros, I love the colors of the images, and I got some shots with it that I was quite happy with (at up to 400 ISO, as you said).

We are comparing two excellent cameras in terms of IQ.

The dynamic range of the RX100 is far better, I think, and getting to the XZ1 equivalent of High Dynamic Range (Gradation) took various steps buried deep within the menu (finally I set auto gradation as the one custom setting option).

The RX100 has fabulous image quality, at very high ISO's as well as lower ones, but beyond that it has amazing features and functionality: in camera Auto-HDR, Dynamic Range Optimizer (several settings of each to choose from), bounce flash, in camera sweep panorama that actually works, buttons that make choosing from various options totally accessible (flash compensation, focus mode, metering mode, EV compensation, and on and on)--and it is smaller and easier to pocket.

As I clicked on "Complete Purchase" in Amazon I was telling myself I was nuts--but I have had no regrets. I have only had the camera for a week now, but I love it more and more.

I am about to put my XZ1 for sale on eBay....

rgm3 wrote:

I have been an Olympus XZ1 owner but have always been unhappy with all the noise at iso 400 and above. I too am ready to "jump ship" to the RX100.

For those former owners of the XZ1, how would you compare the two cameras?

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow