Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,422
Like?
Indoor
In reply to toomanycanons, Aug 2, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

I have to say that I tried shooting in a dimly lit gym (not lit up for a game nor with pro-style strobes going off, just a bunch of people running around shooting hoops) with a lens with a variable aperture (it was more or less an experiment) and I concluded that I should have brought a steady 2.8 telephoto (like the 70-200 f/2.8 that I don't own) and the gym would have had to have been much much brighter for things to work out. I then did some research on how the pros do it at NBA games and such and learned all about house strobes. And shooting with a D3s.

I thought I could just high ISO my way to victory but there's a limit to what the D7000 (or any camera) can do in very poor light shooting action indoors.

I actually just shot an indoor woman's roller derby match next to a person shooting a d700. I was shooting with the 70-200 f2.8 RAW and he the same JPEG only. A few days later we compared....he now shoots RAW and uses Topaz DeNoise like I do. The difference was striking. Now that he knows the secret...I may not win next time.

I totally agree...you need a f2.8 lens for indoor sports.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow