Re: Consider a superzoom?
In reply to gooseta, Aug 2, 2012

gooseta wrote:

Which is better? 17-50 2.8 or 35 1.8??
--
Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer
NEW SITE : angadsrin.zenfolio.com

One if a fast prime, the other is a zoom, there's a pretty big difference in what they are useful for.

The 35mm is a fantastic lens. But, if it's not long enough, you're walking or cropping. If it's not wide enough, your walking, and if there's a wall, your just out of luck.

I have no experience with the 17-50, but I know f1.8 on the prime is going to get you a faster shutter and/or lower ISO than f2.8 on the zoom. But the prime just can't get to 17mm. If you're looking at buying a new 17-50, consider the Sony 16-50 also, it is a great lens (but I have no experience with the 17-50 to compare).

So, if your going to the temples and markets, the 17-50 is probably going to work better for you, although the 18-55 might be almost as good in most situations. If you're heading out to night markets or photographing Katoeys along lower Sukhumvit, the fast prime is what you want.

For the flash, it's a good opportunity to practice you daylight flash fill technique:
http://www.shutterbug.com/content/fill-light-use-your-flash-outdoors

Every time I get home and look at my pictures I realize that I should have done this more. A lot more. And I've been in a lot of there temples and seen a lot of flashes in use. Some of them it's probably prohibited, but that's only going to be a couple of the most visited. The only place I would definitely not use it is inside a bar, but you really shouldn't be taking pictures inside those bars without it either.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow