6 new lenses for Micro 4/3 in Photokina 2012

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
Re: 6 new lenses for Micro 4/3 in Photokina 2012
In reply to Dixa, Aug 2, 2012

I tend to disagree. It would be really nice to see another normal lens. If the rumors are true, it'll be a 25mm f/1.8 lens probably costing $249 to $299.

That would be an excellent alternative to the PL25/1.4 for a lot of people, which costs $529+, is very hard to find and likely is a good 25-60% larger/heavier than this rumored upon Olympus normal lens.

For a short telephoto, I also disagree. Yes a 60mm macro is coming, but first off it is likely to be resonably expensive, certainly not cheap at any rate. Next it is also resonablly large to enable macro focusing. I'd love to see a nice compact 60 or 65mm lens at an f/2.8 or faster speed that also won't break the bank.

A duplication of the Olympus 45mm, I just don't see a need. Unless it is going to be significantly faster I personally just don't think there is a point. Yes, you could possibly have a higher quality lens at that focal length, but I think it would be a stretch. The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 really is just fantastic and at $399 MSRP in the US it is pretty hard to deliver something cheaper, unless you go with a much slower lens, which then starts begging the point...why? Why would you want to spend, say, $199 on a 45mm f/2.8 lens when for a little more money you can get something that much faster...and maybe better optically? Oh, there might be a reason at some point, but I don't think that point is any day soon.

For competing against the Olympus 75mm, or at least NEAR it in focal length range, I think there is much more "need". The Olympus 75mm appears awesome, but the price is also not "cheap". The value is there if it is something you need or you have the money to easily spare. However, it is by no means a "budget" or "casual" photographer lens at all. The Olympus 45mm you could say that about, that for a really good portrait lens, a lot of people would be willing to shell out $399 or less for one. $899 though...now THAT is quite a different story. However, get a 60, 65mm or even a bit longer lens around f/2 or 2.4 or 2.5 or 2.8 for $399 or less and I think you are back in to the same territory of being a resonable by for entry level photographers, casual photographers, people on a budget, etc.

I don't personally use longer than 45mm often enough to be worth spending $899 on a lens no matter how phenomanal it is. My Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6 at $149 refurb will fill in just fine thank you very much. Even if it isn't nearly as fast or as high optical quality. Now offer me a lens at 60mm up to around 80mm or so at f/2.8 or faster, with decent optical quality and costing less than four hundred bucks and likely you'll have a sale out of me (and a lot of other photographers?).

I DO think there is a need for that. Sure, I'd love to see longer lenses too.
--

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow