Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jffielde
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
Hobgoblins of the Canon Photographer
Aug 2, 2012

I'm interested in what hobgoblins my fellow Canonites think have become more trouble than they're worth. I choose the term "hobgoblin" to try to caputre the idea of superficially helpful, but ultimately unhelpful to your photography.

To show what I mean, here are my top 3:

1. Shadow banding - Every high-end Canon made seems to be evaluated first and foremost on this basis. It's all that the professional reviewers seem to care about, but practicing pros seem to care very little. If 20% of the population cared as much as would appear online, Canon would be out of business by Christmas! Still, I now find myself looking at the darkest shadows of every photo posted online to see if I can identify the defect - almost always I cannot, unless the photo was made and manipulated for that purpose. This obsession changes nothing for me, but makes me enjoy photographs a bit less.

2. Extreme corner sharpness - same as above, and I now find myself absurdly obsiessing over the 1% of the image that makes up the extreme corners to judge the quality of a lens.

3. Diffraction limits - I originally started shying away from f/16 and then f/11 because of all the talk of diffraction limits. Now even f/8 is non-optimal. I realized this was spiriling into madness when I saw that I was losing 90% of the resolution of half my images by having the DOF too shallow, in exchange for raising the central sharpness by 5%!

What are the hobgoblins to your photography?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow