Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HowardLive
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
AF on the 7D: center point only vs. expanded center point
Aug 2, 2012

Shot a few hundred pics Sunday at a local park - first, a softball game in progress and then geese at a pond in the fading sun.

This was my first time using the expanded autofocus - center point and the four surrounding points. It did seem to help me focus better on players st bat, but when I looked at the geese photos - not in flight - there were a lot of shots that were just short of critically sharp. Specifically, the 7D often focused near a bird's eye but not quite on it

• and I should have had a fairly large target, shooting at 210mm x 1.6 crop at tame birds that sometimes walked directly toward me.

Does this mean that AF point expansion is best left to scenes in motion, and that I should keep on using just the one point for slow-moving subjects?

Interested in your preferred AF points for various kinds of motion and non-motion. Hoping to learn enough to set up two presets (the third will be for video).

Thanks, Howard

HowardLive's gear list:HowardLive's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +2 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow