Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HowardLive
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
AF on the 7D: center point only vs. expanded center point
Aug 2, 2012

Shot a few hundred pics Sunday at a local park - first, a softball game in progress and then geese at a pond in the fading sun.

This was my first time using the expanded autofocus - center point and the four surrounding points. It did seem to help me focus better on players st bat, but when I looked at the geese photos - not in flight - there were a lot of shots that were just short of critically sharp. Specifically, the 7D often focused near a bird's eye but not quite on it

• and I should have had a fairly large target, shooting at 210mm x 1.6 crop at tame birds that sometimes walked directly toward me.

Does this mean that AF point expansion is best left to scenes in motion, and that I should keep on using just the one point for slow-moving subjects?

Interested in your preferred AF points for various kinds of motion and non-motion. Hoping to learn enough to set up two presets (the third will be for video).

Thanks, Howard

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow