Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809Gear list
Like?
"Sony" lenses
In reply to GaryW, Aug 2, 2012

GaryW wrote:

caterpillar wrote:

If we look at Sony's lens roadmap, it is pretty smart. They are hitting the proper lens at the proper time.

A lot of people don't want to admit that while there are specialty lens missing from the lineup, they have hit the most important ones first.

Making the first mass-market APS-C sensor short-flange-distance bodies meant there were virtually no existing optics that could take full advantage of the bodies. The obvious path would have been re-issue of A-mount lenses with the mount changed to E. Instead, Sony put out a high-functioning A-mount adapter (followed by an even better one) and worked on lenses doing things adapted A-mounts wouldn't do. The 18-55mm, 18-200mm, and 50mm f/1.8 might sound familiar but OSS isn't in A. There is nothing in the A line even vaguely like the 16mm f/2.8 -- especially including the converters -- and I'd bet Sony expected that development investment to pay off much bigger. Keep in mind that Sony is a consumer electronics company, so working with companies like Zeiss and Tamron makes great sense, and I'm sure part of the delay had been convincing these partners to make big development efforts when the market for NEX and E-mount wasn't yet established.

In summary, I have a great deal of respect for Sony's lens release choices. It's a pity that it takes so long to bring truly new designs to market, but it does, and there's a lot on the roadmap.

Oh yeah, one last point: the entry of EOS M with the same 18mm flange distance as E is going to really open-up the 3rd-party lens market, because nobody doubts that there will be sales volume now. As usual, we Sony users will benefit more from this than Canon users, because wide lenses are wider on NEX's real APS-C than on EOS M's smaller-but-we'll-call-it-APS-C-anyway sensor.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow